Saturday, October 23, 2010

Artist Review #7: Andrej Belic

There is no other medium that promotes adventures as much as photography. When I try to come up with images for my studio critiques, I find myself planning trips to locations all across the East coast. These images remind me a lot of my own scuba diving endeavors; sadly, I was not able to document my dives like Belic. I found him on Stumbleupon and was struck by the ghostly quality present in a lot of his images. Likely due to the low visibility of the water and not to any artistic choices on Belic's part, I find myself wondering what is happening in the corners and crevices of the wrecks that he shoots. In particular, the first and second images stand out to me. The first shows the interior of a ship buried in the sea, the decay clearly evident in the algae-filled corridor. I like that this image leaves a lot to the imagination; I like not knowing what lies beyond the door in the back left corner. All sorts of exciting fish or sea life could be inside and Belic keeps his viewer guessing.

I like photography that doesn't exist solely within the context of the image. I guess the same could be said for books and movies; I like when there's some component that remains unsolved and somewhat mysterious. In a lot of my images, I try to distort and abstract my subjects. I guess I'm trying to create some sense of mystery within my works, though in a decidedly different way than Belic.

Link:
http://www.abelic.net/

No comments:

Post a Comment