Sunday, October 3, 2010

Artist Review #4: Chema Madoz

Some of Chema Madoz' images:
I remember the first time I saw his work; I was attempting to put together a last minute presentation for a photo class that started in 20 minutes. Though most of the other photographers I chose did not impact my thinking or my art at all, Chema Madoz's work was an exception. I was captivated (and still am) by the way he blended seemingly unrelated objects in a way that made perfect sense.

In the second image, he draws on kitchen imagery, referencing a plate set out to dry on a rack after an after dinner cleaning session. However, instead of photographing this act in a typical way, he replaces the dish rack with a storm drain. Despite the disjointed nature of a plate and a storm drain, these two components blend seamlessly in this photograph. Chema Madoz repeats this surrealist tactic in his other images: he mows the carpet, drops the end of a spoon on another spoon, and creates a crosswalk out of astroturf. His work does not resemble my own, but I am drawn to the way he blends fantastical ideals with real elements to create cohesive pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment