Monday, March 28, 2011

Constructing Negative Space: Free-Write 3

A quote I particularly like:

"Hervé approached his subjects, specifically the buildings he was commissioned to document, with a particular focus on conveying a sense of space, texture and structure. Through a strong contrast of light and shadow, Hervé defined the dialogue between substance and form as well as placing emphasis on building details."

(From http://historyofourworld.wordpress.com/2010/10/22/building-images-lucien-herve/)


I haven't really discussed why my work aligns with the aims of new vision photography, but I would like to do so now. Straight photography, or documentary style photography, was popular up until the mid-1930s. At this point, men like Maholy Nagy and other teachers/followers of the Bauhaus school started to explore the potentials of the medium. No longer was photography just a means of documenting reality, but a way of creating it, or forcing people to take notice of particular relationships that may have otherwise gone overlooked.

My work stands apart from documentary style photography, and is pretty in line with the aims of new vision photography. I often use oblique angles (either extreme ups or intense downs) as a way of disorienting my viewers. Just as modern architecture removes all excess from its structures, my photographs strip down buildings to their barest elements; all that is left are textures, tones, and geometric relationships.

The importance of doing such a thing is to foster a love of the simple. To take away everything unnecessary is to glorify everything that remains and is absolutely essential to the essence of a thing. When I photograph the most necessary details of a structure, I am showing what is most crucial to its existence. I think the most beautiful things are the most basic; I like to photograph what is pure, essential, and simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment