Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Constructing Negative Space: Revised Artist Statement

As a person easily fascinated by small details, I find the intricacy of simple objects and buildings to be something deserving of attention. While my eventual goal is to create my own architectural forms, I found it necessary to first understand the guiding principles inherent to structural design. I set out to photograph architecture in order to better understand it; I wanted to truly learn the principles instead of just reading about them in a textbook.


Photography is a method of observation but also of interaction. I have a profound connection with each of the buildings I capture. I touch them, I walk around them, and if possible, I climb to their peaks. Taking a picture of them only aids in my understanding of their symmetry, functionality, and spatiality.


When photographing architecture, I often use oblique angles as a way of abstracting my subjects. This forces viewers to look at complex structures as a collection of simple elements. Just as modern architecture removes all excessive ornamentation, my photographs strip buildings down to their essential components. Structures are reduced to forms, textures, tones, highlights, shadows, and geometric relationships and overcast skies become basic shapes. To take away everything unnecessary is to glorify what remains. The minimalism and purity often found in the constructed world is overwhelmingly beautiful to me and I seek to understand and convey this through my photography.

No comments:

Post a Comment