Thursday, April 21, 2011

Artist Review #15: Andrea Gallo

In attempt to accumulate the amount of credit hours necessary for graduation, I opted to do a Public Relations and Marketing internship with the UR International Theatre Program. Although the internship was decidedly less design-oriented than I had anticipated (in fact, it's mostly just press releases and flyer distribution), there are some aspects of the course that lend themselves to Illustrator and Photoshop.

In lieu of a final paper, Nigel, the Artistic Director, assigned a final project incorporating all the skills we learned over the course of the semester. From press releases to radio spots to poster designs, we've been preparing for this all semester.

My first approach to the design was as follows:


Although I spent numerous hours piecing the components of this design together, they still felt disconnected and the work seemed overly busy. I then decided to look at what other people had been creating. While looking through google images for designs, I found myself drawn to minimalist posters. Although minimalism is generally associated with the 60s and 70s, it's recently made a comeback. Here are some architectural posters I found particularly captivating:


I love how the designs are clean, elegant, bold, and crisp. Although the designs are simply white text and designs on black backgrounds, they manage to incorporate all that is essential to the buildings they exemplify. When I blended the silhouettes of my components with simple colors, I would up with this:


Although I would have preferred to use smaller, less noticeable text, I feel as though a theatre poster necessitates big, bold show times and production titles. The fonts were particularly hard to get for the design; I wanted a serif font that was militaristic, eroded, slightly antiquated, and readable from a distance. I finally settled upon an edited version of American Typewriter, found on dafont.com. (I would be lost without this site). All in all, I liked the inspiration that Gallo's work provided. The simplicity, I think, makes for a more stunning result; my first attempt seemed far too cluttered and the second is more consistent with my aesthetic.

Links: Dafont.com

No comments:

Post a Comment