Monday, April 25, 2011

Artist Review #16: Jason Mullins

I found Jason Mullin's work while stumbling for photographs; the first images of his that I saw were these and I was instantly captivated. The water and sky in each of these appears like smooth, unscathed glass, when in reality, it may have been a windy, turbulent day. I looked up the techniques associated with milky-looking water (I knew it had something to do with a slow shutter speed and high aperture, but I wasn't sure how one went about guessing at such long exposures), and came across numerous blog postings. The second link included (the link that doesn't lead to Mullins' page), has info concerning the lens filter that Mullins likely used. Apparently I need to invest in a cheap-- but not plastic-- neutral density filter. The darker, the better, because the longer the shutter speed will be. A functional (as opposed to deformed) tripod would also be helpful for such shots (thank you, darling brother). Supposedly the milky skies and waters were really popular a few years ago, but have since gone slightly out of style. I feel like with the right subject, the kitschiness could be avoided; I think Mullins does a good job of avoiding the inspirational poster-y look in his works.

Links: http://www.jasonamullins.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment