Saturday, November 13, 2010

Artist Review #10: Julia Fullterton-Batten

Julia Fullerton-Batten has a resume that makes me jealous; she's worked for New York Magazine, Ford, and the Sunday Times. She's one of the few photographers that can actually make a living doing what she excels at. The first image I saw of hers was the bottom one. At first glace, it seemed really posed and I wasn't sure if that was intentional or not. As I continued to peruse her work, I saw that many of the images shared this surrealistic, hyperrealistic feel. Especially in the top image, the world is completely and obviously distorted. This work was part of her series entitled "Teenage Stories." All of the pieces in this series show large adolescents in a too-small world; Batten uses this as a metaphor for growing up-- big fish in a small pond-esque.

I frequently find myself drawn to surrealist artists, though I find this strange, as my work revolves around the real and the concrete (literally). For such a theoretical person, I find the actuality of my images to be helpful in trying to view the world at face value. If I were to draw images based upon my dreams, I feel I would lose all touch with reality. (My dreams are always epically surreal and generally nightmarish.) Creating photographs and objects based upon the real world is a way to keep myself centered and a way to remain at least somewhat grounded. So while I choose to devote my time to creating works based upon visual realities, I love to view works that mimic my surreal thought processes.

Link: http://www.juliafullerton-batten.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment