Friday, November 5, 2010

Artist Review #9: Bernd and Hilla Becher

The Bechers have been discussed in every photography class I've ever taken. When viewed as single images, their work is nothing special, but when seen in a series, it becomes overpowering. These images are particularly captivating for me, since they depict one of my current obsessions: grain elevators. Specifically, the grain elevators of Buffalo. I try to travel there as much as possible (or as much as my substandard freelancing funds will allow) to photograph them in new ways. Here's an example:
I love the curvature of the central angle in this photograph. Though the grain elevators were never intended to serve as the inspiration for the International Modernist Style of the 20s and 30s, there were some measures taken to make them more aesthetically appealing. Like painting their cornices. In this image, you can just see the black paint where the concrete meets the whiteness of the sky. A completely unnecessary detail, but one I find myself drawn to. Along with the concrete itself. Most modern buildings used concrete or steel. When poured concrete is used, wooden boards hold the substance in place until it dries. This leaves lines (formed by the separate wood panels). Generally, these divisions are sanded off, but as seen in this image, the ones on the Connecting Terminal Elevator were left on. Likely due to a lack of necessity, I still find this amazing; the production of these structures is still evident, even when they are crumbling.

No comments:

Post a Comment