Thursday, November 18, 2010

Artist Review #11: Thomas Holtkotter


I found Thomas Holtkotter's work on a site dedicated to recognizing amazing examples of architectural photography. The last image in this series was posted on this site and I couldn't stop admiring it. One of my photo professors in Italy once said that you can tell a successful photograph because it's one you feel jealous of. One that you wish that you had taken. Well, I'm completely jealous of this photograph.

I love the way Holtkotter uses unique vantage points for all of his images. He plays a lot with cropping, as seen in the last image specifically. His top image is one that I would have taken; he uses an upwards angle to capture the geometric spaces formed through both positive and negative space. The other images are more unlike my own, yet I admire his ability to use a centrally situated design in a stunning and captivating way.

Viewing Holtkotter's images make me aware of my own style of shooting. I think from now on, I should be willing to pay attention to the positive and negative space formed in the cavities of the building itself and not just settle for the interaction between the building and the natural environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment